We have a vacancy for a talented and enthusiastic PhD student with a medical background to join our team at the Amsterdam UMC (location AMC) in Amsterdam. Our ambitious team conducts cutting edge research in genetics of inherited cardiac disorders that cause sudden cardiac death. Our projects are multidisciplinary and translational, spanning clinical cardiology, clinical genetics, molecular genetics, biostatistics and disease modeling in cellular systems and mice. We are an internationally oriented group and have multiple ongoing collaborations with research groups in Europe, the USA and Asia. The successful applicant will construct and manage large international clinical databases and related DNA biobanks of patients with inherited cardiac disorders. By means of these databases he/she will combine clinical data with large-scale genetic data obtained by genomewide array genotyping and whole genome sequencing for the identification of genetic factors contributing to cardiac disease and susceptibility to sudden cardiac death. These large genetic data sets are generated in the context of projects funded by NWO (VICI), H2020 and the Netherlands Heart Foundation. The successful applicant will be expected to develop novel ideas, apply them to the analysis of the data and interpret the emerging results. She/he will be actively involved in discussing and prioritizing genes emerging from the analysis for functional studies in cellular systems or mice that will be conducted by other members of the team.
• You have a degree in Medicine
• You are preferably proficient in statistical programming languages and statistical analysis methods (eg. R)
• You are flexible and can handle different projects concurrently
• You are a team player that shares knowledge and skills with colleagues
• You are independent and have good organizational skills
• You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
• You are fluent in English (written and spoken)
AMC Medical Research
The Amsterdam UMC is more than just a hospital. It is a world in which patient care, research and education are integrated, and in which people are always central. It is an academic world full of possibilities for talented individuals that are looking for a place where they can excel. Thinking big, daring to dream, cooperating internationally. And never letting yourself be put off by ‘It’s not possible’ or ’It won’t work anyway’. That is the Amsterdam UMC mentality.
The department of Experimental Cardiology
The Department of Clinical and Experimental Cardiology of the Amsterdam UMC has a long-standing tradition of research on inherited cardiac disorders causing sudden cardiac death. The department is an integral part of the ‘Hartcentrum’ of the Amsterdam UMC, which means that researchers are connected to the Clinical Cardiology department, which stimulates translational research that benefits patients suffering from life-threatening cardiac diseases.
We offer you ample opportunity for development, deepening and broadening, additional training and a place to grow! Working at AMR means working in an inspiring and professional environment where development is encouraged in every respect.
• The maximum gross monthly salary based on a 36-hour work week is €4.481,- (scale 10 CAO UMC).
• The base salary does not include holiday pay (8%) and a year-end bonus (8.3%).
• We offer a contract for 12 months.
• In addition to excellent accessibility by public transport, AMC also has a sufficient number of parking spaces for employees.
• Pension is accrued at Be Frank.
For an overview of all our other terms of employment, see https://werkenbijamc.nl/arbeidsvoorwaarden-amr/
If you would like to apply directly, please use the ‘apply’ button on this page.
If you would like more information, please feel free to contact Connie Bezzina (Professor of Molecular Cardiogenetics), via 020 – 56 6540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to meeting you!